Plant-made pharmaceuticals offer a number of advantages over traditional systems for the development and production of vaccines and protein therapeutics such as monoclonal antibodies.
- The flexibility and speed of plant technology enables high throughput screening and optimization of biotherapeutics before they ever reach clinical trials.
- Plants are able to make novel and complex molecular forms that cannot otherwise be produced in cell-based systems, thus providing the opportunity to open new treatment paradigms for patients with unmet medical needs.
- There are significantly lower facility and production costs associated with plant-based technology.
- Plant-based systems are more likely to scale to meet increased and varied demand, from personalized to global applications.
- The speed of production allows accelerated screening of new therapeutics and vaccines against emerging threats inclubing pandemic events.
Plant-based technology offers less risk of propagating human pathogens or other mammalian contaminants.